Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Bedtime Worry Wart

Mitch has a bad habit of getting out of bed multiple, multiple times at night(I know this is payback, mom) and coming to talk to me about the pains in his stomach, back, elbow and left thumb until he has exhausted every and all possibilities or I am out of ailments. This week I started something new and before we even begin his bedtime prayers I ask him to tell me 5 things that are bothersome, worrisome or on his mind. So far so good, and my little worry wart of a first born child who likes to walk the floor until all hours has been going to bed much better. Anyone with kids knows that they'll sneak a new curve ball in on you at anytime, but I'll take the small victories as they come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

does he signal the aliens with the lights like we used to?

Allia Zobel Nolan said...

Like Mitch, I am also a worrier. So much so that I wrote a book on it to see if doing the research would help. Indeed, it does. But I'm a work-in-progress. This is an adult book, but you may find some comforting items you could use with your son. It's called THE WORRYWART'S PRAYER BOOK. It's filled with Scripture, affirmations, anecdotes and prayers to help worrywarts get off the worry-go-round and trust God more. My favorite: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." Psalm 46:1, 2.

I also have a blog (and I worry that I don't keep it current enough), called THE WORRYWART'S CORNER, which might help worriers. Meantime, remember, God's in charge so give all your worries to Him. He's the only one Who can make any sense of them.

Maybe you can tell Mitch to give his worries to God at night...that He will take care of them.

Anyway good luck with all this.