Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I could learn a thing or two from those guys!

In the last month or so since Mitch has started Kindergarten I have been watching(I'm a big people watcher) the dad's at Mitch's school calmly and cooly pick up their kids from school, hug them, tousle their hair and head home with them. As the weeks have rolled by I've started talking with some of these dads and gotten to know some of them on a friendly after school pick up type of basis. Today I was talking to one of the stay at home dads and we were talking about naps and bedtimes and he said that he tries to get his daughter down for a nap by 12:30 or 1pm but sometimes that doesn't work out so bedtime has to be pushed later "but it's all good because what I don't get done today will always be there tomorrow". He just had this calm no nonsense demeanor about him. I remember talking to him the day before home visits and he said he cleaned the house to the best of his ability but he had kids and the teachers had to understand that. Well, duh!! I really think I could learn a thing or two from this guy! Thinking about it this afternoon I have dozens and dozens of parenting books on my shelves, dog earred and highlighted to the parts about dealing with anxiety and high expectations about being the "perfect parent" but all I needed to hear was this Mr. Mom say "it's all good"! And he is right, because this too shall pass and then I will miss Megan's Diva moments, Mitch's incessant talking and the toy bombs. It's amazing where these reminders come from because I always need to remember and hear it - for this is the season I am in.

A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.
Proverbs 14:1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very wise!