Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bored Kids

Do you have bored kids? I do. Summer is quickly winding down and I am finding that I am running out of tricks to keep the bickering at bay. I don't even like the word bored, but I don't know a better word to express August and the feeling you/the kids get as the days drag on and bothering sister/brother/mom just seems to be more entertaining than finding something to do.

Today, in order to curb that afternoon naughtiness, I dug deep into my old art teacher background and decided we would paint ice. I wish I would have taken a picture so my other mom friends could also use this fun trick, but really it's not that hard. We just put a whole bunch of ice in a bucket, got out washable watercolor paint and some brushes and found a piece of sidewalk to paint on. This worked really well today because the temperatures have dipped into the 80s here in CO. Thank goodness! The trick to making this project work is you have to paint the ice and not the sidewalk. I would suggest it only with older(4-5+) kiddos. Mitch made lots of fun patterns that melted on the ice, and Megan liked painting every piece of ice pink. It was a lot of fun and no grouchies...yet.

1 comment:

Megan said...

We made ice cube paints - we put food coloring in the water of ice cube trays and froze them and painted them on big sheets of paper outside. You could probably use tempura since your kids won't eat them :) Good idea though, I will have to file this one away!