Saturday, July 10, 2010

July, really?!

As a kid I was never a lover of July. The 4th of July always meant the summer was half over and as I got older I was board out of my mind because, you know, back in those days we didn't have Internet, texting or 24 hour cartoon channels like these blessed children do. July always seemed to drag on FOR.EVER.!

Now, as an adult, I am starting to wonder where the first half of the year went and start turning in circles looking for it. I'm also in a state of panic because Megan's birthday is next week and I haven't even begun to shop for her! I guess it's okay because she is almost 4 and changes her mind daily as to what she would like to have. One day Barbies, the next day a Belle dress...your guess is as good as mine.

One thing that has stayed consistent, and I so glad I have passed this on to the kids, is my love for reading. There is really nothing I love more in the summer than to curl up and read a really good book. I'm way behind on my shows because the patio is much more inviting in the afternoons and I have been reading just about a book a week, sometimes more. We are making lots of trips to the library and the used book store and finding lots and lots of new and old friends. Megan likes Bernstein Bears, Mitch has started reading chapter books and likes the Magic Tree House series and I read just about anything that you set in front of me, book, magazine or newspaper, but my favorite from the summer so far has been The Help.

July will be here and gone before you know it and I can just hear my Grandpa Jack saying, "only 5 more months until Christmas." and we all would roll our eyes or look at him funny. Now I know that that silly man was right and it's important to enjoy these lazy days because the busy, busy, hurry, hurry that drives me crazy of the school year will be here before I know it.

No comments: